Nakash Aziz's Interview

1. Tell us about your recent project missing on a weekend.

Yes I have composed music for the movie; it feels great when people acknowledge your work and you get an opportunity to extent your hands in the field which you love the most. This will be my debut as a music composer in Bollywood and I am excited for the same. The film will be an acting debut for legendary singer Hariharan ji’s son Karan.



2. You've worked with AR Rahman what did you learn from him? What was the experience?

Rahman sir has been kind enough to trust me with his work. I started with recording a sarod for 'Delhi-6'. I've been observing him. I've heard his songs right from 'Roja' to 'Mohenjodaro'. He is like a guru, I never told him I am a singer. I thought he would figure out eventually. You can't tell him to do anything because he is Rahman. I don't think I am qualified to discuss music with him. Once he asked me, 'Have you sung 'Dhating naach?' I said yes. He said ok.I didn't have the courage to ask him if he has heard it because he has got a very powerful aura around him. I am lucky to be breathing same air as he is. It's a pleasure,

3. Tell us about your association with Pritam?


He's a mentor, friend, guide and advisor. My first song with him was Pungi (Agent Vinod). It was my big song where I got into playback singing. As an individual who was trying to make it into Bollywood, it was a huge break. Immediately after that, Second Hand Jawaani (Cocktail) was out a few months later. I wasn't singing much then. I was doing scratches for music directors like AR Rahman and Pritamda and getting to know the requirements of a playback singer.


4. What made you decide to become a music composer from a singer?

I always wanted to be a music composer, when I got an opportunity to compose the music for the film ‘Missing On A Weekend’ there was no second thought in that and I readily agreed on the same. I just want to be able to work on music that allows me to express more. There will be songs I am not comfortable with but I have to take it up as a job. In the future, I want to do jobs I can relate to and be able to deliver in a comfortable manner.

5. You've performed at IIFA for the third time.. You're a hot favourite there. Comment.

Performing at IIFA is always fun. It gives lot of exposure as a singer and also an opportunity  to perform in front of our own Bollywood industry. And I have mainly performed in IIFA’s with Pritam da, I feel lucky and blessed as am amongst the few who have worked with both the masters, Rehman sir and Pritam da. Every day is a new learning experience for me. This year IIFA was in spain and I was really amazed to witness music culture of spain which is vast and beautiful. 

6. 2016 has been a great year so far...

Yes, thankfully my most of the songs were loved by everyone including ‘Jabra Fan’ and ‘Pyaar Ki’. I have also recorded few south songs as well and also composed for a film, so it would be not wrong to say that this year is being a great one for me so far. Also coming back to fan, No words can describe how I am feeling right now. I have grown up watching Shah Rukh Khan, so it is a big deal for me. I had never even thought of seeing him in person, forget about meeting him. And today, when I see him dancing to my song, it seems unbelievable."

7.  Why is depression so common.  You went through it. Tell us about the phase and how you came out of it?

I was not in that extreme depression, but it I will say I was completely demoralized due to the vote out from a reality show as I obviously wanted to win it. But as we say everything happens for the good, and I really learnt a lot from that experience as I firmly believe that in depression your talent grows in a positive way. The exit from Indian Idol was infact the positive sign for me.

8.  Who are your competitors?

No one, everyone has enough work here. I would not say that there isn’t any competition in music industry but yes there is lot of work here so I feel no need to compete with anyone.

9. Tell us about your early days of struggle to reach where you have today?

Before I participated in Indian Idol, I was taking part in a lot of inter-college music competitions. I was studying in Patkar College, Mumbai, and in the first two years there, I didn't have any friends. Only after I started singing in college, people started interacting with me. Also, I won a lot of competitions for my college and that boosted my confidence. That's when I realised music was my calling.

10. Which languages do you enjoy singing the most?

I enjoy to be associate with the word music that be it in any work or any language. So language is not a barrier for me. Also, I do make it a point to know what I am singing. Unless I understand the lyrics, how will I emote? So I keep asking the regional composers about each word in the song and what each line means.

11.  You've sung for Srk,  Salman and Saif. What was the feeling?  Who do you wish to sing for next?

The feeling is amazing. I have been watching these superstars since my childhood and have been dancing on their hit numbers; it feels amazing to see superstar’s face on your voice. I would like to sing for Aamir Khan.

12. Your take on reality singing competitions.

It’s a good platform for singers like us, it gives exposure in the industry and help us to reach our voice to each and every person including the music directors.

13.  Most of your songs are full of energy and dance numbers. Is that your specialty? What other genres would you like to explore?

Yes, and its not easy to sing these type of songs as well. No matter what is happening in your life, you have to go out there and have fun while singing the song. When you go to any social outing, these are the songs that people dance to. I feel blessed that I get to sing the kind of songs that cheer people up. I don’t think there is anything wrong in being slotted. I hope to have a long life and once I have mastered these kind of songs, I can move on to the romantic space

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

QNet launches New Luxury Chairos Watches

गोदरेज एंड बॉयस गोदरेज लॉकिम मोटर्स द्वारा चिकित्सा उपकरण कैलिब्रेशन सेवाओं के साथ भारत के स्वास्थ्य सेवा क्षेत्र की सुरक्षा

एस्टेक लाइफ साइंसेज ने आदि गोदरेज सेंटर फॉर केमिकल रिसर्च एंड डेवलपमेंट लॉन्च किया