● 61% of OYO bookings in 2016 were from impulse travelers yet predictability, standardisation and affordability remain their key priorities
● Paharganj is the go-to spot for backpackers in Delhi while Arambol is the most affordable locality in Goa despite ranking high on popularity
● Chennai and Goa highest-growing cities for same-day and overall bookings
29 December 2016, New Delhi: OYO’s year-end analysis of hotel-bookings in 2016 confirms that a majority of Indian travellers are increasingly driven by impulse. Impulsively planned trips emerged as the top driver for outstation trips both in business and leisure travel segment. 61% of all the bookings made on OYO platform were made within 24 hours prior to check-in.
The research further highlights that despite the last-minute bookings, travellers’ expectations in terms of service, facilities and experience are pre-determined and non-negotiable. WiFi, Breakfast and Hygienic rooms are the three biggest priorities for guests. With 7000 hotels in over 200 cities, OYO is India’s largest hotel-network and has effected over 5 million check-ins to date.
Commenting on the insights, Kavikrut, Chief Growth Officer, OYO, said, “We are witnessing a travel awakening in India. Along with the surge in bookings from impulse travelers both within leisure and business segments, we see an emerging paradox in that even as travel-planning cycle reduces further, the expectations from on-ground suppliers and agents is of delivering a non-negotiable and predetermined experience. Thus the onus on travel partners such as hoteliers and those offering travel-related services is to ensure consistent, high-quality service delivery. We, at OYO, employ tech-enabled solutions to deliver standardized user experiences.”
OYO’s research identified
● Chennai, Goa and Gurgaon as the top-contributors to hotel-booking via app.
● Shillong, Coorg, Darjeeling, Vishakhapatnam, and Munnar as most popular winter-holiday destinations in 2016
Using its cutting-edge data science and pricing technology, OYO also identified the most-expensive and most-affordable localities for budget hotels in top travel destinations.
Most Expensive Locality
Most Affordable Locality
Ruby Hospital Kolkata
Paharganj continues to cement its reputation as the go-to spot for backpackers in the nation's capital while Arambol is the most affordable locality in Goa despite ranking high on popularity.