Maharashtra Government renews the MoU with Wakayama Prefectural Government, Japan (WPG) to encourage Tourism and Investment
~Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation (MTDC) strengthens ties with Wakayama Prefectural Government (WPG), Japan for 2018~
Mumbai; 2nd February 2018: Maharashtra Government renews the Memorandum Of Understanding (MOU) with Wakayama Prefectural Japan (WPJ) for 5years by Shri.Devendra Fadnavis, Hon’ble Chief Minister of Maharashtra with Mr.Yoshinobu Nisaka San, the Governor of Wakayama in the presence of Shri. Sumit Mullick, Hon’ble Chief Secretary, Government of Maharashtra, Shri.Jaykumar Rawal, Hon’ble Minister of Tourism & (EGS), Shri. Madan Yerawar, Hon’ble State Minister of Tourism, Shri. Nitin Gadre, (IAS), Principal Secretary, Tourism & Culture, Government ofMaharashtra, Shri. Vijay Waghmare, (IAS) Managing Director, MTDC, Shri. Aashutosh Rathod, Joint Managing Director, MTDC, Smt. Swati Kale, General Manager, MTDC and Shri. Chandrashekhar Jaiswal, DGM, MTDC & Project Coordinator MTDC-WPG, Dr.Lalit Kanodia ,President ,Indian Merchant Chambers(IMC),Shri.Farhat Jamal,Chairman Travel and Tourism , Indian Merchant Chambers(IMC), among other respected stakeholders to enhance mutual economic growth and investment opportunities.
The MoU between Maharashtra Government and Wakayama Prefectural Government, Japan (WPG) commenced in the year 2013 with the purpose of enhancing the relations between Maharashtra and Japan for encouraging and expanding association in the field of tourism and investment, promote Argo and Food processing units. The MOU has been successfully driven by Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation with a surge in bilateral ties. Engagements ranging from Tourism promotion, Heritage conservation, training to officer exchange.
More than 40 delegates from Wakayama Prefectural Government, Japan (WPG) visited Indian Merchant Chamber (IMC) to promote the prospects of Wakayama. The delegates has also visited the various heritage sites and commercial hub in Mumbai including Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalay (CSMVS), the Bombay Natural History Society (BNHS) and BSE to understand the importance of these heritage sites and explore the diversity of the state.
Since the Significance of the MOU, following activities have taken place between WPG and Maharashtra.
- Wakayama Prefectural Government has opened an office in Aurangabad & Mumbai for the promotion of Wakayama tourism in the Maharashtra.
- Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation has opened an office in Tokyo in 2014 to promote Maharashtra tourism in Japan
- In the year 2015, Maharashtra Tourism unveiled the Bharat Ratna, Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar's statue in the University of Koyasan in Japan at the hands of Shri.Devendra Fadnavis, Hon’ble Chief Minister of Maharashtra and Mr.Yoshinobu Nisaka San , the Governor of Wakayama on that juncture Koyasan was celebrating 1,200th year of its foundation, India and the rest of the world was rejoicing 125th birth anniversary year of Dr Ambedkar. A memorandum of understanding was also signed between Koyasan University and the Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University on that occasion.
- Wakayama Prefectural Government with the help of Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) had organised omotenashi training that is Japanese way of hospitality for Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation (MTDC), Archaeological Survey of India (ASI), local school students and teachers in the year 2016 and 2017
- Wakayama Prefectural Government Organised Education for Next Generation Programme in 2017 for school teachers
Commenting on the prestigious association, Shri. Devendra Fadnavis, Chief Minister of Maharashtra said, “We sincerely welcome Wakayama Prefectural Government, both the states have best footing in natural beauty and culture. The renewal of the MOU term for 5years will assist to increase tourism between two nations. This will further assist to preserve cooperation between two states for expansion of tourism ties to improve growth and job creation.”
Commenting on this occasion, Shri Jaykumar Rawal, Hon’ble Minister of Tourism & (EGS), Government of Maharashtra, said, ““I am delighted to be associated with Wakayama Prefectural Government and the MOU is a great stage for us to surge our global footmark and put Maharashtra on the international map. This MOU has strengthened the ties between two states of the nations. I have visited Japan in the year 2017 and I believe Wakayama will be the gateway to Japan for Maharashtra. We are glad that we were able to successfully spread our culture across various parts of the world.”
Commenting on this occasion, Shri Madan Yerawar, Hon’ble Minister of State for Tourism Government of Maharashtra, said”As a step to achieve the great heights, we are delighted that in the first month of January itself we are extending our friendliness to Wakayama Prefecture as a part of our marketing and goodwill strategy. The delegation discussed matters pertaining to renewal of the MoU between the government of Maharashtra (GoM) and Wakayama Prefectural Government (WPG) in 2018 and we are looking forward to boost tourism prospects in the State of Maharashtra.”